Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Behavior Therapy

I took my Spring Break, and just didn't do anything but enjoy the time off.  That meant absolutely no blog posts.  :)

Last week, Liz had her first behavior therapy appointment.  Going in to it, Liz was very nervous.  She's very suspicious of doctors as a general rule.  On Wednesday when I told her that she would be going to the doctor the next day, I had to make sure it was very clear to her that there would be no shots, IVs, or any other medical tests.  I promised her that doctor would only talk to her and ask her questions, and I would be with her every single step of the way.

When we got there, she was very nervous, clinging to me and hiding her face.  She noticed that the doctor had a lot of toys, and she was impressed.  She still wouldn't leave my side, though. 

The doctor asked all the usual questions about her development, what the issues were, etc.  I explained about Liz's rages, and she offered up some advice on how to handle them.  All in all, we were there just over an hour, and I left feeling optimistic about what we would accomplish in future appointments.  Better than that, Liz liked the doctor, and she is excited about her next appointment.

I had the opportunity to use the suggestions for Liz's rages on Saturday, and while the rage lasted just as long as the previous ones, it wasn't as violent.  The next day was the best day she's had in a LONG time.  It was so nice.

No comments: