Thursday, May 2, 2013

Life Goes On, Doesn't It?

Life really does plug along, doesn't it?  Daily life keeps happening, regardless of what's going on in your personal life.  That's not to say that people don't care that you've been through something traumatic.  They do, but they've got their own stuff to deal with, too.  The hardest part after this last bought of seizures has been learning to live as if our hearts hadn't just been ripped out of our chests.

Let me say this, though.  Liz is fine.  She's handled this better than I can even put into words.  There have been days when she has had lots of questions, but that's completely normal.  We bought two books to help her understand her seizure disorder, and we read them together.  The first is called Mommy, I Feel Funny by Danielle M. Rocheford.  I'd read about this book on the Epilepsy Foundation's parents' forum, and I knew that if she continued to have seizures when she got older, then that would be a definite purchase. 


It was a fantastic book, and it helped her understand what happens to her during her seizures.  It also helped her understand that there are always people around her that will take care of her.  If you have a child with a seizure disorder, this book is an absolute must-have for your personal library.

We also purchased, Taking Seizure Disorders to School: A Story About Epilepsy by Kim Gosselin.  We read this one together, too.  It's geared towards an elementary school classroom.  I put her name in it, and sent it to school, since her nurse and school counselor were planning on speaking with her class to help them understand what goes on with her.


As for the rest of us, I think that our sense of peace and normalcy has been taken from us.  Adjusting to our new normal is going to be the hardest thing about all of this.  I don't think I'd forgotten how things were when she was younger.  I think I became complacent.  I know I couldn't have done anything to stop that seizure from happening, but it would have been nice to not have been so blindsided by it.  As for The Husband, he's still learning, but he's doing great.  When he became a permanent part of our lives, Liz had been healthy for awhile, and aside from an event five years ago and few break through seizures here and there, he hadn't seen what her seizures really look like.  It was baptism by fire. 

It was five weeks yesterday.  Here's to five more.

No comments: