Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Continued Normalcy

I'm a little nervous about how normal things are with my family right now.  Liz continues to impress me with her handling of the summer routine change.  Although, at this point, one could argue that we've created a summer routine, and that's the reason for the excellent transition.  I'd have to agree, honestly.  Even the most basic routine helps her with anxiety, and she keeps a fairly even temperament.

One of my fellow teachers is going through a situation with her husband in which he is essentially being diagnosed with epilepsy.  Another mutual friend was updating me on the situation, and she remarked that she couldn't help but think about Liz when talking to our other friend.  The husband had suffered a black out while driving, and that got her to thinking about what Liz's life will be like as she gets older.  Will she drive?  Will she go to college?  Will she have children?  I replied as I always reply:  "I have no idea, but I really hope so."  Let's be honest, though.  She probably won't drive because we have had terrible experiences with seizures returning when her meds dip below therapeutic levels, and based on that fact, no state is going to give her a license.  I hope she goes to college, and I want that to be her decision.  The mom in me will have a difficult time letting her go, though ("Please, Liz...you can go there and live at home."  "Mom, I'm 35!!  Let me go!!").  As for the children?  Well, she's eight years old.  I'll worry about that later.

Liz and I are visiting family next week, so I'm sure I'll update my blog about how well she handled the trip.  It should be really interesting.  Have a great day!!

No comments: