Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Just...amazing.

I'm writing this from my kitchen table after one of the best days I've had in awhile.  It struck me today just how much work I've put in to epilepsy awareness, and how awesomely it is paying off.

Today we had our district convention for student council in Corsicana, TX.  Our sister school, Killeen High School, was running for a district position using their epilepsy awareness platform.  Their theme, "Step Up for Epilepsy Awareness" was perfect, and their presentation warmed my heart.  Honestly, I got a little teary eyed.  They were just awesome.  Later, their sponsor told me that it was just a small portion of what they had planned for their state presentation, and that they still had some work to do.  You know what I say?  Awesome.  Seriously, just...awesome.  I love that 40-50 kids that six months ago had no idea about epilepsy are working quite tirelessly perfecting a performance that, if nothing else, is going to make people more aware of this nasty condition.  I. Love. It.  It's moments like these that I feel like we might just win our war against epilepsy.  I will forever be thankful to their sponsors for taking up this fight.  You guys have earned a place in my heart.

In other news, we had to add another 100 mgs of Carbatrol to Liz's morning medications after the seizure last week.  I feel like we're on the right track for seizure control through this series of medications.  It could be so much worse than it is, and I'm thankful that she's responding so well to Carbatrol.  Although, I could live without the mood swings.  They are nasty.

Side note: I lived in England eleven years ago, and went to school there for a semester.  I met some of the most amazing people there, and I've held them very close to my heart in the years since.  My professors/house parents were some of these wonderful people, and they have a sweet daughter that over the weekend, she experienced three seizures.  Their entire family has kind of been thrown into the deep end of this mess, and they're doing their very best to stay afloat.  Please, keep this sweet family in your thoughts/prayers.  I know they appreciate it.

I've added a few links that you all should check out.  My favorite is a link to the website/blog of Paulette George.  She wrote a book called "Good Morning, Beautiful" about her daughter and their experience with epilepsy.  If you do nothing else today, please go to that website, and read her blog.  It hit so close to home that as I was reading it, I thought to myself, "How does she know our story?"  I emailed Paulette, and she kindly responded to me.  What a sweet soul.  Thank you for sharing your experiences, Paulette. 

I'm going to go to bed while I can fall asleep with a smile on my face.  I love you all.

1 comment:

Jessyca Asams said...

I just noticed my blog (Blogging for Lucy) was listed under your blog roll. Thanks a bunch for following! I've read some of your entries and I can only sympathize with your day to day battles. If you want, find me on Facebook. The link is under the "about me" section on my daughters blog. Have a wonderful day and keep in touch!